Crochet & Relax

animated mom in bathtub Pictures, Images and Photos

Vintage Crochet Lines


The Guardian Angel

Take your needle my child and
work at your pattern it will come out a
rose by and by. Life is like that...one
stitch at a time taken patiently.


~Oliver Wendell Holmes 1867~





You Who ! C'mon over lets chit chat !

Leaving the light on for you

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Thinking about.....

Baking !

I like to bake, do it year round, but there is something wonderful about it this time of year, the warmth of the oven fills my cozy kitchen, and soon there are aromas floating around my little homestead.  My husband has been dropping hints about cream puffs. I think I've only made them once before and so I set out to find the recipe which was his mother's, she has passed to me on the now vintage looking index card..
.a simple joy...

And so it will be today..cream puffs it is...after I visit a bit with you, and have another cuppa. It
was a glorious sunrise this morn, we face the east and we see some of the most breathtaking colors. I took a picture and will be showing it and the cream puffs, as soon as I can locate the cord for the camera which downloads the pictures...I hate when I misplace things and have to spen time looking...but first things first
dessert right?

A Recipe to Share  of the Vintage Kind

1 cup water
1/2 cup butter ( one stick )
1 cup sifted AP flour
few grains of salt
4 eggs

Heat water & butter together until butter is melted and mixture boils. Stir in salt and flour all at once. Cook and stir over direct heat until mixture leaves the side of the pan and forms a ball.  Cool.  Beat in eggs
one at a time. Mixture should look smooth.  With a desired size spoon scoop a spoonful of the mixture on the baking pan.  Bake 400 40-45 min for large puffs, and 15-20 for small puffs. 

Filling

2 tbs butter
1/4 cup corn starch
2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 egg yolks slightly beaten

Melt butter- blen in corn startc-sugar-salt, gradually add milk and heat to boiling. Remove from heat &
 Stir into egg yolks
( remember to temp it or you will have scrambled eggs )
Return to heat and cook 2 minutes stirring constantly, add vanilla.

anybody else having a problems with downloading pictures from your files? Something looks different...
what is blogger up to now.....any ideas?

4 comments:

Stitchy Mc Floss said...

YUM!

Sounds like you are going to have a wonderful day of baking and enjoying the simple pleasures of life. :)

Hugs and blessings always dear friend.

lemonverbenalady said...

They sound delicious, Faith. I'm gaining pounds just thinking about them. Because I can't eat chocolate any more, cream filling sounds wonderful! Thanks for sharing your mother-in-law's recipe! I'm getting error messages, but things are still working, but they seem to be slow this morning. xxoo LVL

glor said...

Cream puffs ... I'm grabbing my coat, scarf and gloves and on my way!!! mmmmmmmmm! blessings, sister.

Michelle said...

Thank you so much for this recipe. I lost my favorite recipe for this last year. This looks really close to that one. Will be giving it a try. I know it will taste fabulous.