Crochet & Relax

animated mom in bathtub Pictures, Images and Photos

Vintage Crochet Lines

About Me

My photo
I'm a lover of vintage times and simple elegance of another era. I'm waiting a while for my special little farmhouse. While I'm waiting, I'm making good use of my time creating lovlies with my crochet hook n thread or yarn, and baking and cooking from scratch for my family.


The Guardian Angel

Take your needle my child and
work at your pattern it will come out a
rose by and by. Life is like that...one
stitch at a time taken patiently.


~Oliver Wendell Holmes 1867~





You Who ! C'mon over lets chit chat !

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Christmas Nut Kuchen

You're probably all done with your baking for this holiday, but keep this recipe back for next year,
it's a keeper.  This was given to me by my BIL, one of the Sisters at a parish he was at makes theses, and she was happy to share the recipe with me. I've never been completely sucessfull until I had this recipe with the nut roll, and I've made some doozies.....

This is fairly simple & straightforward, I hope you'll give it a try. 

The Filling: you will make this 1st since it has to cool before you spread it onto your dough. 
2 cups finely ground nuts
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk (or a little less)
1 tsp cocoa ( if desired ) 
1 tsp vanilla - add after mixture cools down
Cook together everything but the vanilla until thick, it takes about 4 minutes of boiling, stirring
constantly. After it cools, add the vanilla. 
Dough:
Heat to lukewarm in a large saucepan
1 cup sour cream
Remove from heat and stir in 
3 tbsp sugar
1/8 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp soft shortening ( Crisco)
Sprinkle in :
1 pkg yeast
Add:
1 large egg
3 cups Gold Medal AP Flour
( you can save of it for rolling out the dough) it depends how moist your mixture is, it will vary on weather conditions and etc...

Mix well ( use hand if you need to ) Turn dough onto a floured board and fold over several times until dough is smooth. Roll the dough into an oblong 24"x 8". Spread with 2 tbsp soft butter.  At this point I will
cut the oblong in 1/2 before adding the nut mixture, it will be easier to handle. Spread the cold nut
mixture over the dough, roll it up. Place on greased baking sheet, cover and let rise about 1 hr.
Bake at 350 25-30 minutes. Cool on the sheet. Frost if desired with:


1/3 cup butter
2 cups powder sugar 
1 1/2 tsp vanila
water to make it thick syrup and drizzle over cooled kuchen. 

Enjoy.


1 comment:

Michelle said...

This sounds so good. Unfortunately my husband can't eat nuts.