Crochet & Relax

animated mom in bathtub Pictures, Images and Photos

Vintage Crochet Lines


The Guardian Angel

Take your needle my child and
work at your pattern it will come out a
rose by and by. Life is like that...one
stitch at a time taken patiently.


~Oliver Wendell Holmes 1867~





You Who ! C'mon over lets chit chat !

Leaving the light on for you

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Do you work the pattern or does it work you?

I don't know about all of you hook movers out there, but I notice for me at least that if I'm not working with a color I like, I have a heck of a time. I'm trying to make the purse I mentioned a few posts back, now the picture on Pinterest shows an off white color, which I thought for me, and a purse wouldn't work out. I like the color, but I know me. So I had some sage green, and I tried I don't know how many times to get this pattern, it isn't hard by any stretch, was it the color?  So then I bought some varigated which I also posted about, and I ripped and frogged that poor thing to death. 
I have a little Aran left over from the Crochet Hooded Shawl, so today I went full circle, and began the purse with the color it's supposed to be in, the pattern is working out fine..what is up with that? Is it the color? Maybe that I have a preference for the cream color?  I don't have much left so a stop at Pat Catan's will be in order for this week, I hope it's on sale. 

    
courtesy of Pinterest
Derek Bag

Isn't this a lovely bag?  I may make one in the varigated color to, but the Aran color is working fine.
Why is that? 
Does this happen to you, or is it just me? 
It's okay...be honest...but it is at least something to think about. 
Do I crochet things better when it is a color I prefer? 

I hope I'm not jinxing myself, but it seems to be working ..fingers crossed....


4 comments:

Corn in my Coffee-Pot said...

That is an interesting concept.
I think there are times when I'm crocheting something and I think to myself...this would look much better in a ___________ color. I will put it down and forget about it...and then I will start again, in the other color and it goes well.
So I think yes-- we have to have a feel for the color and the project. I especially think it makes a difference if it is for me or another recipient... I can make something for someone in a color I don't like if I think it is suitable for them.
Yes to all of the above. I think it makes a difference.
I can't wait to see your purse.
Pat

Vikki Hooks said...

Good morning..I hope all is well in your part of the world..mine is covered in the white stuff. I don't know if it the color that throws us off or the pattern in the color. I have frogged many a doily in my day from it not feeling right..change the color and it goes ok..then pick up the same color and work something else and it works out ok. I have come to believe patterns have personalities and if that is the case, maybe some colors just don't appeal to the pattern..as much as we think they will. Does that make sense? Oh who knows..but I think anyone who has moved the hook for any length of time has changed color, yarn, thread just because it didn't feel right..at least I have..blessings and looking forward to seeing your purse.

glor said...

I think its one of those mysteries of life. I know exactly what you are talking about. Many times I want to use up yarn I have but I just don't get into the pattern or just can't do it until I get the yarn I truly wanted. Its part of the crochet addiction! Can't wait to see the bag ...I'm trying to get my pillow done but I love this bag as well, I wouldn't be surprised if in the not too distance future I may be attempting this as it would also be fu to do a project with you. Blessings sister!

Susanne said...

I guess I have never given that much thought. Some colors just seem to work out right, and maybe it isn't just the color but the actual texture of the yarn, who knows. I have been like you, started something, ripped it all apart and had to control myself when it came to throwing it in a box and doing something else. So many times something that looked completely simple turned out to be a headache or a nightmare. I have found that not all patterns are suitable for using up the stash of left over yarns. Next thing I know I am in the yarn isle and like a magnet the skeins fall right into my cart. Once in my life I had about 3 small hanks of yarn left and somehow I ended up with about 30 skeins of yarn....I think I left that shopping bag out in the car till my hubby went to bed. Now that he has passed away I don't have to hide the yarn. The rush is gone, but in all honesty he was never upset when I bought it to begin with...and how I got on this subject I will never know. Honey, I hope that yarn works out for you. Can't wait to see what you come up with.
Susanne :)