Crochet & Relax

animated mom in bathtub Pictures, Images and Photos

Vintage Crochet Lines

Neighbors

We are shaped and formed

We are shaped and formed
by what we love


The Guardian Angel

Take your needle my child and
work at your pattern it will come out a
rose by and by. Life is like that...one
stitch at a time taken patiently.


~Oliver Wendell Holmes 1867~





You Who ! C'mon over lets chit chat !

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Vintage Hankies, Crochet and itty bitty hooks

Good Day :)
 
 
Stopping by to chit chat over the fence post this morning.  Having a cuppa and chewing the fat with you about this n that.
 
Looks like another hot week here in NE Ohio, 85+, not much my cup of tea. I'm looking for the fall weather, and yes even an occasional rainy or cloudy day.. Looking forward to fall weather soups and casseroles, and baking in the old hearth some lovely aromatic yummies.
 
If you've visited here from time to time, you've heard me speak of Aunt Lucy, and I'll affectionately call her the crochet maven of my husbands side of the family. Aunt Lucy was my mother in law's Aunt, which make her my husbands great aunt and also Godmother. She is great great aunt to our boys.  
 
 Never had the pleasure of meeting Aunt Lucy, she was married and didn't have any children, and she loved to crochet, my mother in law inherited quite a bit from Aunt Lucy, and she has been ,the last few years passed a few beauties on to me, mostly crochet items and a few depression glass items. 
 
Yesterday I received this handkerchief, it is beautifully made, and is ever so vintage and heirloomy.....I am so grateful to be the 2nd benefactor of these lovelies, and hope that I will have someone who like myself will count them a joy to pass on to.
 
My mother in law has Aunt Lucy's crochet hooks as well. You will see by the picture that the stitches are really tiny, itty bitty even. While looking at the hooks in the case, I looked to see what number they were. I don't think these are manufactured anymore, so the ones in this case are extra special. I've not seen hooks this small, I cannot with the naked eye even see the hook. The sizes were 14 and 18, those of you who crochet know the higher the number the smaller the hook. Amazing. 

I closed up this picture, but the stitches are tiny, and delicate on the corner edge of a hankie.

 
This one needs completed, I will look for this thread, isn't this hankie lovely?

6 comments:

janice15 said...

I love the butterfly as well.. Haven't visited in a while..but glad I stopped in.. It's terribly hot here in San Francisco as well..That icky hot heat you can't breathe..YUK!!! Love both pieces it's nice to have someone pass things down. Happy rest of the week with love Janice

Pammy Sue said...

Very pretty and intricate work. I love seeing old things like this someone has made. I hope you can find the thread and finish or repair that blue one. That would be neat.

Miss Nifty Thrifty said...

Very pretty! I love seeing vintage handwork like these!

JES said...

Just lovely! Thank you for sharing these vintage pretties on the Art of Home-Making Mondays. I am now following along :)

Charlotte Huffman said...

Beautiful! What a treasure!

yahoo password reset said...

Very nice,,,