Crochet & Relax

animated mom in bathtub Pictures, Images and Photos

Vintage Crochet Lines

Here's the Crochet

Here's the Crochet
The beach.... in my heart

About Me

My photo
I'm a lover of vintage times and simple elegance of another era. I'm waiting a while for my special little farmhouse. While I'm waiting, I'm making good use of my time creating lovlies with my crochet hook n thread or yarn, and baking and cooking from scratch for my family.


The Guardian Angel

Take your needle my child and
work at your pattern it will come out a
rose by and by. Life is like that...one
stitch at a time taken patiently.


~Oliver Wendell Holmes 1867~





You Who ! C'mon over lets chit chat !

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

My 'Ol Vintage Rose.....




We live nextdoor to a house that is now over 100 years old, when we first moved here 15 years ago, I would see these beauties in the back yard..No telling how long they had been there, there was a lovely fragrant lilac bush as well. When the house became vacant, and the house flipper people came...they dug out the beautiful lilac bush for the driveway expansion....I hoped that the rose bush wouldn't be touched, but couldn't be sure.  So, I took a few cuttings of the 'ol beauty....put them in some soil in a pot, and watered them..put a glass jar over the top and in no time...we had roots..This is a second generation of the original cutting..which is on the side of the house..very prolific, gets full sun and is glorious this time of year..The one in the picture is in the front, and I have a 3rd generation started in a pot in the back...it is in it's first real season of growth.
as for the original 'Ol beauty...they tore that out too...but I gave a clipping of it back to the next owner, she planted it in almost the same spot..and it is there today. Try cultivating your own the very same way....if after a while you give a gentle tug on the plant and it resists, there are roots being established...  

7 comments:

Faye Henry said...

My, Faith what a wonderful thing to do..
Blessings..

Beansieleigh said...

Oh Ethel.. The only garden I'll ever have HERE is my little window garden.. and believe me, it's LITTLE!.. but I love that you found a way to save that rose bush, the best way you could!! And now there are several generations!.. A wonderful post, my friend!!! Have a great day! ~Lucy

Deborah Jean at Dandelion House said...

How wonderful that you kept the rose growing for you and your neighbor!
Great job!
Deb

pattas said...

I have a few cuttings like that Faith..Taken from our old house :))
Do you have any info on the original owners ?? A piece of history :))
Have a blessed day :))

Antiques Galore Gal said...

Hi, very nice to meet you. A lovely blog and a wonderful etsy shop!

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

I couldn't tell you how many rosebushes my G-Mom-B started with a twig and a mayo jar! Glad you saved a very pretty old rose! I did add some more info to my lavender post if you'd like to take a peek:@)

Fresh Garden said...

Absolutely fantastic!
You're the best!