Crochet & Relax

animated mom in bathtub Pictures, Images and Photos

Vintage Crochet Lines

Here's the Crochet

Here's the Crochet
The beach.... in my heart

About Me

My photo
I'm a lover of vintage times and simple elegance of another era. I'm waiting a while for my special little farmhouse. While I'm waiting, I'm making good use of my time creating lovlies with my crochet hook n thread or yarn, and baking and cooking from scratch for my family.


The Guardian Angel

Take your needle my child and
work at your pattern it will come out a
rose by and by. Life is like that...one
stitch at a time taken patiently.


~Oliver Wendell Holmes 1867~





You Who ! C'mon over lets chit chat !

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

It's Monday Simple Joy Sharing..

One of the simple joys....


We are shaped and fashioned by what we love.....


-
I have always had a particular fancy for items which have the delicate lacy crochet edgings. I am blessed enough to have a hanky with a history from my Hungarian grandmother Elizabeth, on the lovely hanky the embroidered initial of her husband M for Micheal, and the delicate tiny stitches around the edge have always been a fascination. I often wondered who did the beautiful handiwork, my Grandmother or possible Great Grandmother.. Perhaps ths is where the love of the vintage, and lacy edges began for me.

The hanky, now well over 90 years old, the material is thin, but the crochet work, still lovely and charming, and the mystery is still there..passed down to me by my own mother. I wondered, because the linen portion was thin now, was this something my grandmother used often...did she carry it with her in her purse, or perhaps loop it through a belt on her dress as the ladies day.. 

I carried the once crisp white, dainty hanky on my wedding day, now two generations later, and wondered...did she carry it on her
wedding day too? 

If it could talk..if only it could...


What shapes you?

Giveaway....see scroll down a few posts...

 

9 comments:

Susannah said...

Hello, Just stopped by and was interested in your post about your vintage hanky. I, too, have wondered about my Grandmother's hanky and I also have some of my mother's that I love,, too. My daughter carried mine on her wedding day, too. So interesting. If only those hankies could tell us just a little bit about the day.

Friends,
Susannah

Vikki Hooks said...

Hi Faith, I don't have anything from my grandma like that. I have made a doll from a pillow that she slept on and later died on. I also have a towel that she did some embroidery and a lace edging on. I framed that and put it on my wall. I hope someday you are able to pass on the hanky to someone who will treasure it as much as you.

Beansieleigh said...

Oh, what a treasure, this hanky must be, Ethyl!.. But as for what SHAPES me? Oh, I can only well imagine it has been all the turkey, potatoes, and pies THIS past week!! I don't even want to THINK about stepping onto a scale right now! (0; Hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful, and wishing you a great week ahead! ((hugs)) ~lucy

Snowcatcher said...

I, too, cherish the few things remaining from my grandmother, a precious few of which she handcrafted. She taught me to crochet and gave me the book I used to teach myself to knit, so it's so nice to know a part of her lives on. You'll have to share a photo of your delicate hankie if you can!

Jan Mader said...

I wish I had more from my grandmother. I have some dishes but that's about it...now I'm wondering where everything went....

glor said...

What a lovely post. And thanks for helping me to remember ... after my mother had passed I found a box and one of the things in it is a hanky, with an embroidered E done in pink, the same pink crocheted in an edging around the hanky. It was my grandmother's ... Emma. I also was taken with the E for Elizabeth and, of course, you understand that. Too bad we don't still use such things as pretty hankies. Maybe we should start doing that. Blessings Sweet Sister.

Kateri said...

I wish I had something like that from grandparents. I do have a few of my Grandmother's very delicate china cups. some of my most treasured posessions!

Faith said...

Kateri, it is wonderful to have something, and the delicate tea cups are a treasure also. They are as delicate and lovely as the the
hankies...

Vicki said...

My grandmother made me a linen hankie with variegated purple edging which I carried on my wedding day. On my daughters' wedding day, she carried it in her bouquet w a brooch pinned to it that her father in law had brought home from the Navy for his mother. Her husband wore the matching tie tack. These were ways to carry generations of love into a new family. We hope to carry on those traditions with their daughter and son and their fiancees (long time in future) but these are the traditions that give children roots. My daughter also wore the pendant I wore when I married her father sewn on her garter (they tossed another one). Also planning on making that a tradition.