Crochet & Relax

animated mom in bathtub Pictures, Images and Photos

Vintage Crochet Lines

About Me

My photo
I'm a lover of vintage times and simple elegance of another era. I'm waiting a while for my special little farmhouse. While I'm waiting, I'm making good use of my time creating lovlies with my crochet hook n thread or yarn, and baking and cooking from scratch for my family.


The Guardian Angel

Take your needle my child and
work at your pattern it will come out a
rose by and by. Life is like that...one
stitch at a time taken patiently.


~Oliver Wendell Holmes 1867~





You Who ! C'mon over lets chit chat !

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Spending time in the crafty cave with my MIL...

So, I needed some fabric, I was thinking maybe something fallish...I knew they wouldn't have any at the stores round the neighborhood..who do you call?  My dear mother in law....of course. Her name is Eleanore and she affectionately known at Eleanores Craft & Supply shoppe...A virtual treasure trove, I could spend hours and hours with her down there, in her craft cove.  
She  did some crochet in her younger years, and I have several doily's she has given me already strategically placed around the house..and today she turned up another one which she made so long ago now, she is 82. " You want this she says"? 
 Anything doily of course, did you make it..yes was her reply.
 One of these days you'll have to come over and we'll go through all this, I don't want people going through my things when I die and throwing it out. I told her put it ALL in a box...and put my name on it, don't throw anything out, I don't know how many times I told her that.   She is a sewer and quilter now, embroiders..does lovely work. Each piece of fabric had a history, some it now vintage to somebody else it's junk, to her, 
you & I, we all know better.
 I was amazed as she told me what she made and who it was for. I truly enjoyed my visit with her in the crafty cave, and I wondered if it made her happy or sad to go through all of it. She told me, some of things have memories. I told her, that I understood as only someone who crafts can appreciate. I hope she understood. 

A lovely treasure of the heart kind of doily, so special because she gave it to me, and she made it.  


And also this bowl, so pretty, I have admired it for years and years now,
I love the simple flowers and bright colors. 

8 comments:

Mary said...

Faith, what a treasure! That doily is beautiful. I often wander what will happen with all my stuff. Sounds like you have a treasure in your MIL and she in you.

Faith said...

Thank you for stopping over Mary, long time no talk..Hope is getting better. I hope my two boys find me DIL like my MIL son did...LOL, who appreciates and pass on all these glorious goodies to.

Stitchy Mc Floss said...

Oh, love the doily! I love all doilies...I think a house is just a house until you put a few doilies around, and then it becomes a home. :)

Aww your MIL sounds like a real sweetie. It's always good to have someone in the family that understands our crafty ways. :)

Sending out blessings and hugs to you dear friend.

Vicki

pattas said...

Beautiful lady :)) A treasure in her own right , thankyou for sharing that special day I think she is happy knowing someone loves the craft she has made ..
Beautiful dear Faith..

glor said...

Oh my gosh, what a wonderful day it had to be. Such treasures, they are so very beautiful. I would love to hear her stories, stepping back in time. What blessings.

EvalinaMaria said...

So lovely!

Faith said...

Thank you all for your lovely comments, you know I love them. EvalinaMaria, thank you for becoming a new follower from the blog hop..how fun it is. I'm trying to get back to you, but amhaving difficulty.

Vikki Hooks said...

What a wonderful way to spend a few hours. I think I am that person to my grandkids..they need something for a craft they call me..lol. I call my mom when I lived closer. Mom says the same thing that she needs to go through the stuff and put names on stuff. There are 5 of us kids..she thinks that we will through alot of her stuff away when she passes. I don't think that will happen..we all have a certain "craft" that we do..all different..Thanks for sharing your day with us..I could see it so well in my mind. Blessings