Crochet & Relax

animated mom in bathtub Pictures, Images and Photos

Vintage Crochet Lines

Here's the Crochet

Here's the Crochet
The beach.... in my heart

About Me

My photo
I'm a lover of vintage times and simple elegance of another era. I'm waiting a while for my special little farmhouse. While I'm waiting, I'm making good use of my time creating lovlies with my crochet hook n thread or yarn, and baking and cooking from scratch for my family.


The Guardian Angel

Take your needle my child and
work at your pattern it will come out a
rose by and by. Life is like that...one
stitch at a time taken patiently.


~Oliver Wendell Holmes 1867~





You Who ! C'mon over lets chit chat !

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Trying something new from the kitchen...

 Among the many thoughts rambling through the old homestead these days, keeping it simple and healthy.  Along with growing my own garden again this year, I'm going to add supporting my local farmers and buying fresh, organic local produce and dairy products. And while I'm not completely where I would like to be on this, I'm taking steps little by little to provide my family with food from local farmers, and when I am able to make my own things which are healthy for us, I'm doing that. It's about the journey...

 So, let's talk Kefir today.....
What is Kefir you may be asking? 
Something totally new for me, but it's been around for ages and ages...and it is loaded with health benefits, and you can make your own at home.  I've been reading up on it, and decided to try it from the store first to see if this was something I thought would be worth doing, and would we like it here at home. The answer was yes to both of these questions. Even my boys liked it, and who doesn't want healthy for their kids. You can purchase Kefir..but the pioneer in me wants to do it myself....so, we'll see.  It can be a smoothy, made into cheese, used like buttermilk with far better heatlh benefits.




Kefir’s tart and refreshing flavor is similar to a drinking-style yogurt, but it contains beneficial yeast as well as friendly ‘probiotic’ bacteria found in yogurt. The naturally occurring bacteria and yeast in kefir combine symbiotically to give superior health benefits when consumed regularly. It is loaded with valuable vitamins and minerals and contains easily digestible complete proteins.
For the lactose intolerant, kefir’s abundance of beneficial yeast and bacteria provide lactase, an enzyme which consumes most of the lactose left after the culturing process.

I've ordered the " grains " which the starter and should receive them this week, I'm excited about beginning this healthy journey...and I'll be reporting back soon ....


Enjoy your week, what are you into this week?


5 comments:

Charlotte Huffman said...

I've never tried kefir so I can't say I like it or not. Good luck getting your family to eat healthy! Also good luck with your new endeavors. I haven't had luck with Etsy either.

pattas said...

Now we are talking girl friend... It is great stuff, it tastes to me (the milk kefir) like runny yoghurt.. all very yummy..
I bought the packet from a health food shop and it is called Turkish Yoghurt..
Also tried the other, friends use fig, lemon, ginger, in theirs and the taste is unreal :))
Have a great day Faith..
PS.. Great to know you have your own vegie garden too :))

Susanne said...

I have never heard of kefir, so this is all news to me. I read your previous post, I think your thread projects are lovely and there has got to be someone somewhere who is interested in what you do, the right person just hasn't found you yet. The trouble is, like here, I live in farm country where women do a lot of their own sewing, quilting, crochet and knitting. Face it, we are stuck inside during the cold winter months and need something to busy ourselves to keep from going stir crazy. If you can get your goods to the bigger cities where people don't spend time crafting like we do, well there is a market for the stuff. I know a woman who use to knit dresses for a big store in New York City....now how cool was that job!
(((HUGS))) Susanne :)

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Love kefit, but I've never tried making my own. There are so many things I want to try making!

Sandy said...

Never heard of it. I do sometimes eat yogurt, but not really a fan of the stuff you drink. Hate the way it feels in your mouth. Local farmers etc, not much of option here. Sometimes there are farmers markets going on in warmer weather; but they're not really local. So, no clue really how they farm to know if there stuff is any healthier then what I buy at the store. We're probably doing better then in other years in that we eat more at home, buy less produced stuff, cooking vs pick up...but that's about as far as I can say I've gone in that direction. Best of Luck.