Crochet & Relax

animated mom in bathtub Pictures, Images and Photos

Vintage Crochet Lines

Here's the Crochet

Here's the Crochet
The beach.... in my heart

About Me

My photo
I'm a lover of vintage times and simple elegance of another era. I'm waiting a while for my special little farmhouse. While I'm waiting, I'm making good use of my time creating lovlies with my crochet hook n thread or yarn, and baking and cooking from scratch for my family.


The Guardian Angel

Take your needle my child and
work at your pattern it will come out a
rose by and by. Life is like that...one
stitch at a time taken patiently.


~Oliver Wendell Holmes 1867~





You Who ! C'mon over lets chit chat !

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Detangler anyone?

I'm type of crocheter, and maybe you will agree whether you knit or crochet, or work with yarn, who doesn't work off the skein as it is purchased. It would be an interesting poll to find out how many of us have learned that the hard way. If you haven't you may be on borrowed time. I learned my lesson when I was in the middle of a project, only to discover the darndest tangle of yarn smack dab in the middle of the skein. Cutting was the only thing I could do. 
Having said that, I've spent 7 hours so far, running interference for a knot and tangled mess before I started my project, while rolling the ball. I'm not finished, and at $3.47 a skein, tossing is not an option, I've done that before when I just couldn't see my way through the tangle. Fortunately, I only purchased 6 oz of Caron Simply Soft, and not the one pounder of Caron. I love the simply soft, and it produces a lovely garment or accessory when finished but really?  
This happened just recently with another color I purchased of the Simply Soft. It delays my projects, and oh darn it anyhow. I have more on the ball now, and have decided this is not a tosser. I have it hanging on a hanger hoping gravity will help. And later this evening instead of working on the project, I'll go at it again.
And yet, as much as this frustrates me, it also teaches me to slow down, enjoy the process, and brings about a calmness as I run my fingers through the maze of Simply Soft goodness, almost like a jigsaw puzzle, only with yarn. Working with yarn is enjoyable tactile experience, and while I'm eager to begin, I know soon enough I hope to have this detangled. Any of you have any suggestions how you untangle yarn, or do you?

How about a little poll? It's there at the top of the side bar.
I'm with the cat on the left, and don't find nearly as amusing as the other cat. To each their own.




6 comments:

Michelle said...

I have run into that problem myself. Sorry I haven't found any easier way to untangle it. Would be great to find one.

Charlotte Huffman said...

I have had this problem also and I just cut and retie!

Vikki Hooks said...

And I think that may be the reason I love the thread. I made a blanket for my grandaughter last Christmas...I didn't roll the yarn into balls, but fortunately, I didn't have any problems. I have though. I guess I live on the edge...have a great day.

Faith said...

point well taken Vikki, I lean toward the thread to, have never ever run into a mess like I just found. Thank you all for weighing in.
I'm going to cut, am at a gridlock.

Patricia Lewis said...

Hello Faith :)) I haven't come across that situation, but knots a plenty.. do i reroll...??? No I don't.. But I think i would have to complain about it.. :)) hugs pat :))

Patricia @ Corn in my Coffee-Pot said...

I have had this problem in the past with yarn I've purchased.
Honestly, It never occurred to me to roll it first before a project.
I always roll partial rolls that I have left from projects-- and any rolls that I buy second hand, and of course, any frogged yarn. Never even thought of doing this with new purchase.
Your story has surely changed my mind on this and I will be doing this now.